Thursday, August 14, 2008

I've discovered Baked Alaska!

Baked Alaska. It's baked. That makes sense. But what is Alaska? I mean, it's obviously some sort of crab. At least, to any normal person that's what it is. When I hear Alaska I do not think of an ice cream ball surrounded by sponge cakes or pudding and then topped with meringue. Although, that sounds good, too. And I would love to be able to immediately get over the fact that the name doesn't make sense. In a way, it's pretty lovely that something so tantalizing and delicious has such a mysterious name composed of two things that are so familiar to the general public (hint: it's a state). Regardless of its moniker, I was lucky enough to indulge in the Baked Alaska at Craftbar in NYC, one of the many restaurants that features the culinary stylings of the sheen-scalped and hunky Tom Colicchio. That guy's got a double flavor savor, dude. One wasn't enough.

No comments: